Agenda for Monthly Progressive Business Meeting
24 Mill St., Newark, OH
Subject to Change
- Introduction (5 Mins. 7:00-7:05)
- Fair Districts = Fair Elections Update/Review (5 Mins. 7:05-7:10)
- Summer of Labor Update (5 Mins. 7:10-7:15)
- City-Based Activism (5 Mins. 7:15-7:20)
- Working Families First (5 Mins. 7:20-7:25)
- Endorsements? (5 Mins. 7:25-7:30)
- Open Discussion (If Desired) (90 Mins. 7:30-9:00)
- Adjourn (9:00)
Notes from Second Community Spring Discussion on Transportation
- 1) Writing a Letter
- a) We must unify behind a core message that we want to send.
- b) We need to determine what our goal is; relating to how the public should respond to the letter campaign.
- c) We must decide on our goal relative to how these letters will woo officeholders.
- 2) Summer Organizing
- a) It could be helpful to hold a march or rally: perhaps we can attach this to one of the Summer of Labor events.
- b) We ought to have a coordinated plan to address the naysayers who oppose our efforts.
- c) Attending all public meetings and attempting to address the officeholders as a unit can help.
- d) We should draft the survey we discussed before.
- e) Our efforts could be aided as part of the Working Families First Initiative.
- 3) Coordinate with Others
- a) The Newark Think Tank on Poverty has valuable outreach experience.
- b) The Freedom School of Licking County has the ability to help us educate the public and generate a helpful community conversation.
- c) The Licking County Progressives are ready to take a stand on this as political activists.
- 4) Pressure on the Politicians
- a) Keep contacting and lobbying action from current elected officials (get them on record).
- b) Compel each candidate to stake a position and show them that there is a groundswell of support.
- 5) Disseminating Information
- a) Some/most citizens need to be educated about the problem and the available solutions.
- b) If possible, some form of regular newsletter could help educate and generate support.
- c) Entertainment of some form which addresses the problem and solution could go a long way in educating while keeping it interesting.