Agenda for Monthly Progressive Business Meeting
24 Mill St., Newark, OH
Subject to Change
• Introduction (5 Mins. 7:00-7:05)
• Summer of Labor Update (5 Mins. 7:05-7:10)
• City-Based Activism (5 Mins. 7:10-7:15)
• Working Families First (5 Mins. 7:15-7:20)
• Live Meetings (5 Mins. 7:20-7:25)
• Open Discussion (If Desired) (95 Mins. 7:25-9:00)
• Adjourn (9:00)
Minutes for Progressive Meeting
• We discussed how some of our members are continuing to do their best to engage in local politics through activism and in attending local government meetings. Noted the importance of our continued participation.
• We noted that local progressives who are frustrated with the direction of local politics – or politics in general – should seriously consider running for a central committee seat in the Democratic Party to steer the party in a more progressive direction.
• We discussed how utilizing the Working Families First Initiative can be very helpful in spreading the word about progressivism and helping citizens connect the political dots between the fight against social angst and the need to improve/save our democracy.
• We pondered the future of our group – which has existed since October 2011 with the founding of the “99% of Newark and East Central Ohio” -, and considered whether the lack of consistent attendance by fellow progressives suggests that it is time for this phase (the physical meeting phase) needs to be folded. Attending members did not want to see that happen and insisted that we keep meeting monthly where we have met since 2014.
• We discussed trying to show “Dark Money” (something which has since been discussed and approved by the Freedom School of Licking County for their labor film series), but under the “99%” subgroup.
• Before we adjourned, we discussed the possibility of having future meetings using “Facebook Live” so as to permit those not physically present to still “attend”/participate.