Agenda for Monthly Progressive Business Meeting
24 Mill St., Newark, OH
Subject to Change
- Introduction (5 Mins. 7:00-7:05)
- Summer of Labor (5 Mins. 7:05-7:10)
- City-Based Activism (5 Mins. 7:10-7:15)
- Working Families First (5 Mins. 7:15-7:20)
- Open Discussion (If Desired) (100 Mins. 7:20-9:00)
- Adjourn (9:00)
Minutes for Progressive Meeting
- We had our first LIVE meeting (video available here).
- We reviewed our 2nd Annual Democracy Day, noted where we thought it went well, and how we may do better next time around.
- We had a brief discussion – stemming from the reference made to it at the Democracy Day event – on the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court and what it means for the future.
- We highlighted a few local-based activist points: Daniel’s upcoming remarks before Newark City Council pertaining to the Gazebo on the 7th anniversary of the 99% of Newark and East Central Ohio’s founding (October 15th). Recent anonymous letters have been forwarded to Daniel and each have come with some important questions for officeholders, also noted the upcoming prayer vigil – as led by the Public Transportation Advocates (a spinoff movement inspired by the Freedom School of Licking County) – advocating for public transportation on Sunday, October 14th, and we addressed the potential local impacts of the recent decision by Amazon to raise the pay for their workers.
- We addressed the continuing need to help generate a discussion amongst the local working class via the Working Families First Initiative: organizing and starting conversations, dealing with apathy, and using examples of how collective power can generate change.
- We reviewed the upcoming Midterms, looked at the County and State Races and pondered a series of endorsements for local candidates. We decided to leave that vote up to those following the page, since there were so few of us in attendance at the physical meeting.
- Under open discussion, we noted the need to move our meeting time. The location that we use is convenient for one of our longtime members, as she is disabled. However, a conflict in scheduling has emerged. So, we have tentatively decided on meeting every 4th Monday at the same time and place, except we will no longer be meeting in November and December due to the holiday season.