Agenda for Monthly Progressive Business Meeting
24 Mill St., Newark, OH
Subject to Change
• Introduction (5 Mins. 7:00-7:05)
• Labor (5 Mins. 7:05-7:10)
• City-Based Activism (5 Mins. 7:10-7:15)
• Working Families First (5 Mins. 7:15-7:20)
• Open Discussion (If Desired) (100 Mins. 7:20-9:00)
• Adjourn (9:00)
Minutes for Progressive Meeting
• Meeting was broadcast via a LIVE Facebook video.
• We discussed matters pertaining to Labor. Noted that the Summer of Labor – except for the Democracy Day event – will be suspended until 2020 at the earliest. Revisiting the need for a Labor paper. We briefly talked about the Freedom School showing “Dark Money” the previous Thursday and how it was well attended with around 50 people. Our discussion branched off into how the proposed tax rates by Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez can help to effectively create a maximum income and how a living wage of $15 an hour should be attached to inflation. We mentioned how workers were essential for the production of wealth, and this then extended into a renewed discussion about socialism and what it really is. We again highlighted the fact that the Local Party has new leadership and will hopefully now be more amenable to progressive ideas.
• We highlighted the current state of local races in Newark, citing the competition for Council and the Mayor’s office.
• We addressed “Working Families First” and how creating this network database can also serve as a launching pad for the aforementioned labor paper – which can start out as a newsletter -, noting that we need to work with the platform’s founder and secure more postcards for distribution.