Agenda for Monthly Progressive Business Meeting
24 Mill St., Newark, OH
Subject to Change
- Introduction (5 Mins. 7:00-7:05)
- Fair Districts = Fair Elections Update (10 Mins. 7:05-7:15)
- Summer of Labor (10 Mins. 7:15-7:25)
- Gazebo and Related Activism (50 Mins. 7:25-8:15)
- The Party v. Independence Discussion (30 Mins. 8:15-8:45)
- Miscellaneous (15 Mins. 8:45-9:00)
- Adjourn (9:00)
Review of Progressive Meeting
- We discussed the angry response in the community to the nontransparent removal of the Gazebo via a unilateral decision by the Mayor, and the rumors of what was then some serious talk of a recall effort. We noted our experience in getting a measure on the ballot, discussed the strong possibility that a recall movement would fail, and noted that we would like to help these citizens figure out what their next plan of action should be in the most productive way possible. Also discussed was how the Mayor lashed out at the people asking questions and demanding answers and even suggested that he received more calls supporting his actions than in opposition.
- We also, again, discussed our frustrations with the current state of the local Democratic Party, including the apparent lack of truly equal and high-quality help for ALL candidates. We reviewed the chaotic Club meeting in October and noted that the Club and the Party need reform. Included in this part of our discussion was the fact that the next Club officer election is in December and we covered the fact that the biggest reforms will have to transpire via the Central Committee of the Party, which includes positions elected by registered voters affiliated with the Democrats.